The original village of Bowden was located to the southeast, near the turnoff to Olds along Highway 2. While there the village was known as “Lone Pine”. An important stop on the Calgary and Edmonton Stagecoach Trail, the village was home to the Brewster House Hotel. The village was moved when it was found the railway route would not pass through the original town site.
Edith Hudson's Centennial
beloved Bowden resident, Edith Hudson in
2011 celebrated her 100th birthday. Join us in commemorating her
centennial. On display is Edith's elegant
wedding gown she wore in 1932 when she married her husband
Alfred Hudson. Also displayed is their wedding photo and a
magnificent painted portrait of Edith's Grandmother Jenny Adams.
Bob Hoare Photography Studio
man, Bob Hoare was quite the photographer. He earned a living
taking pictures and also enjoyed photography as a hobby. This
collection includes hundreds of his photos. Buildings and
streets of Bowden and neighbouring communities have been frozen
in time, as have family portraits, local farms, parades and
picnics. Photos date from around 1900 to 1950, in one of the
largest collections of historical Central Alberta photographs.
The display also includes a mock up of Bob Hoare's
house which doubled as his photography studio and dark room. His
antique camera equipment also on display.
shelves of the Bowden Hardware store are always stocked with
household goods. A large assortment of typewriters, appliances,
cookery and tools fill the isles. A large wooden cash register
and computing scale dominate the counter. Behind is a collection
of antique tools and tins.
A display of antique sports equipment and a large
camera collection completes the store.
The Irene Wood Avon
6000 items make up this incredible collection. All of it
collected by Irene Wood, and all of it is from Avon. Perfume,
men's cologne, decorative items, dolls and jewellery fill
shelves drawers and displays in what might just be the largest
Avon collection in Western Canada.
musical display is comprised of the instruments that entertained
four generations. Centerpieces of this exhibit include a 1867
Square Grand a piano as old as Canada, a 1920 Gramophone
Cabinet, and a 1900's Pump Organ.
here is a school room from Bowden's old Schoolhouse. The stately
old two story brick building was built in 1907 and served Bowden
for nearly fifty years. Unfortunately it burned down, but it can
still be seen in photographs on display at the Museum.
dresses and fancy hats are on display in the cabinets and
shelves of the millinery. Here you can take a look at the
fashions of days gone by. Also displayed here is a cabinet of
wrist watches and pocket watches and a collection of antique
collection tells the story of all of the businesses that once
opened their doors to the town of Bowden. The display includes
the type set some the town newspaper, a cabinet filled with
tools from the barber shop and a unique slide projector from the
volunteer fire department.
display gathers together a few items from local dairy farms.
Follow milk from the cow to your glass, as it would have
traveled sixty years ago.
railway influenced Bowden's growth more than anything else. The
town started as a stop-over on the trip from Calgary to Edmonton
and many of the Town's settlers came by rail. The display
includes grain elevators modeled after the ones that used to
stand near Bowden's tracks, the telegraph equipment from the
town's train station and a dining car serving set generously
donated by Canadian Pacific.
In 1890 the Calgary and Edmonton Railway Company acquired the rights to build a line from Calgary to Edmonton. The C & E Railway arrived in Red Deer in November of 1890 and reached Strathcona, South of Edmonton across the North Saskatchewan River in July of 1891.
With the railway complete travel time between Edmonton and Calgary was cut from four days by stagecoach to just twelve hours by train.
It was from the C & E Railway Bowden got its name. Surveyors with the company stopped at the future site of Bowden where a siding would be located. While determining what to call the siding, one of the surveyors, Mr. Williamson from Winnipeg suggested ‘Call it my wife’s maiden name, “Bowden”’.
The first grain elevator in Bowden was the Alberta Pacific opening in 1906. By the end of the twenties there were seven elevators in Bowden along Railway Avenue. In 1952 a raging fire destoryed the Midland Pacific and United Grain Growers Elevators. The UGG was later rebuilt. The old Alberta Pacific Elevator burned down in 1973. The last elevators, the Pioneer and the UGG were both demolished in 1994.
here commemorate and celebrate the lives of past Bowden
residents. The ladies lived all their lives in the town of
Bowden, and made it so much better with their presence. The
display here is just part of their lasting legacy.
display here shows the history and tradition, the ceremony and
the pageantry of the Eastern Stars of Alberta.
collection of Military relics of the First and Second World Wars
commemorates and honours the memory of the Men and Women who
served and gave their lives for our country and freedom.